Monday, August 4, 2008

Reflection #1 due 9/22

Your reflection is a 1-2 page response of how you negotiated and experienced your identity stabilize, destabilize or even restabilize in the space you attended. For support, draw upon class discussions, readings, and websites, to analyze your own experience. Please consider the sociopolitical messages that attempted to unveil itself in those spaces and its' impact on you. Consider visual rhetoric, visual reading (oppositional, negotiated, or dominant stances), film tools, archetypes, color symbology and any other tools you have up to this juncture. Your responses should be in either MLA or APA and references are a must.

2 comments:

Pete Todaro said...

On the night we went to the brown hotel, I felt my identity stabilizing. My understanding of my own identity became much clearer. I see myself as an individual young college man who stays away from the mainstream american culture constructed by MTV. I am an introvert who prefers the company and conversation of a close group of friends over a loud crowded frat party.
The Brown Hotel says alot about itself in its name. The color brown symbolizes stability and makes people feel comfortable in its space. I dont believe that it is still a hotel, mostly cheap student housing now but the word hotel makes you think you can come by and stay for a while. If I was to describe the student crowd at the Brown, it would be "artistic." The musicians themselves who performed probably do it as a hobby and enjoy expressing their artistic skill. The skill is part of their identity and on a stage is their social space.

matthewspangler said...

I am a nervous person. I find myself unsteady when I go into a place I am not familiar with. I think about the little things too much. At the Brown Hotel I was not as nervous. The color brown is associated with stability and reliability. The inside reminds me of a basement with wood panneling, and this puts me at ease. The outside of the building is actually green, the color of peace. The color green is also associated with illness and being 'slimy' which might be why the bar is not as popular. The dim lighting is easy on the eyes, but I can see why this would turn people off. The energy was low when we first arrived. Once people started coming in the open mic started and the bar became more lively. This is a place where you can wear whatever you want and feel comfortable in this bar where conversation is the main attraction.